Monday, May 17, 2010

Up shifting and down shifting reccomendations on a Kawasaki ninja?

I own a 2005 kawasaki ninja 636. It has a 14k redline, I was wondering if any one out there may have a similar sports bike and could offer some suggestions on between what rpms i should up shift and down shift. Ive heard that higher rpms are safe for sportbikes cause they%26#039;re meant to be ran up there pretty high on the gauge. What about riding on the freeway. Is it safe to cruise at 8k or 9k rpm also. thanks|||You can pretty much shift gears when ever you want to, it just depends on what kind of riding you are doing. When I am just cruising and taking it easy, I usually shift in 6-9k range, and I always cruise on the interstate in 6th gear because it gives me better gas mileage. If I%26#039;m looking at hitting it hard, accelerating fast, and doing what the bike was built for, I%26#039;ll pretty much let it go almost to red line before I shift and I%26#039;ll stay in the high rpm%26#039;s until I get to a straight away and then I%26#039;ll shift to bring the rev%26#039;s down again. Like I said, it all just depends on what style riding you feel like doing at the time.





By the way, I own an %26#039;07 gsx-r 750. It red lines at 15k rpm and likes to cruise in 6th gear on the interstate (75mph) at about 7k rpm





edit:


I reread your question and thought of something more to add. You can cruise at pretty much any rpm you want, just listen to the engine if you%26#039;re cruising at really low rpm%26#039;s because it might be better to shift down a gear. If you decide to cruise at a high rpm like in the 10k plus, just keep an eye on the engine gauges. It shouldn%26#039;t be a problem because the engine is built to run that fast but it%26#039;s just always a good idea to keep an eye on it. You will run through gas like crazy though the higher the rpm you run it.|||to maximize performance, you should shift at the top of your powerband (not sure where that is on your bike, but on mine it%26#039;s just north of 9k)





for cruising down the freeway, use your top gear, it%26#039;ll save you gas and engine wear...you can always downshift when you want to accelerate...

No comments:

Post a Comment